Sunday, September 18, 2011

Taking Your Education

As I was walking around campus, I was more observant of my surroundings instead of just chatting with my friends or wondering what they were serving for dinner at Campion. I noticed things that I had never noticed before. I stared at everything from the noisy construction to the beautiful nature. Although I was taking in the campus, I could not find something that represented “taking my education.”

I thought about the discussion on our education system and how schools are like factories producing children who cannot think for themselves. Also, I considered how most schools employ the "banking model" of education, silencing each students' voice. With this type of environment, it is necessary to take it upon myself to learn. I need to engage myself in my own education and not be suppressed by the system. Therefore, it is my own responsibility to not get lost in the shuffle of students who are simply “receiving their education.”

Something that I felt exhibited this attitude was the “One Way” sign I passed on Lapsley Lane. It reminded me of the factories our schools have become and how kids are dragged in one direction and taught there is only one answer to everything. Students are instructed that there is only “one way” to do something. But when you take your education, you think critically and think beyond. You discover that there is more to life than what is right in front of you, than what is simply given to you in school. But, you have to take a new way to find it. 

1 comment: